Stats & Records
Wins by Knockout
Wins by Submission
First Round Finishes
- Sig. Strikes Landed
- Sig. Strikes Attempted
- Takedowns Landed
- Takedowns Attempted
- Sig. Str. Defense is the percentage of significant strikes attempted against a fighter that do not land.
- Takedown defense is the percentage of takedowns attempted against a fighter that do not land.
- Knockdown Avg. is the average number of knockdowns per 15 Minutes window.
Sig. Str. By Position
Sig. Str. by target
Win by Method
- Pro since 2018
- Three wins by KO, seven by submission (2 RNC, 2 triangle, guillotine, armbar, triangle armbar)
- Eight first-round finishes
- Holds 61 second submission win over WEC veteran Yoshiro Maeda in March 2021
- Tenth youngest fighter on current UFC roster
UFC 290 (7/8/23) Taira won a three round unanimous decision over Edgar Chairez
UFC Fight Night (2/4/23) Taira submitted Jesus Aguilar via triangle armbar at 4:20 of the first round
UFC Fight Night (10/15/22) Taira submitted CJ Vergara via armbar at 4:19 of the second round
UFC on ESPN (5/14/22) Taira won a three round unanimous decision over Carlos Candelario
When and why did you start training for fighting? At age 15, I went to an MMA gym because my older brother was training.
What ranks and titles have you held? Shooto Flyweight Championship
Do you have any heroes? My grandfather. He has a big heart and is gentle like Okinawa's ocean.
What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC? To me, the UFC is like a big mountain. I want to climb a big mountain to the top and see the scenery from the top of the mountain. UFC is that big mountain to me.
Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn? I started college, but I quit to become a pro fighter.
What was your job before you started fighting? College student and part-time delivery driver.
Specific accomplishments in amateur competition? I have a 10-0 record in Shooto amateur competition.
Favorite grappling technique: Armbar
Favorite Striking technique: Middle kick